As an artful twist to an Italian classic, this caprese salad recipe introduces an extra touch of flavor with the addition of a savory pesto sauce. And it's an easy, colorful addition to any hosting or holiday occasion. To create this masterpiece and many others, we've curated a collection of specialties from select small-batch artisans to bring you the very best of Italy.
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes
- 12 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp Genovese pesto sauce
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup basil for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Slice the mozzarella and tomatoes into rounds about 1/4 inch thick.
2. On a flat plate, arrange the mozzarella slices in a circle and then top each with a tomato slice.
3. Add the Genovese pesto sauce to coat the top of each tomato slice.
4. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and sprinkle with oregano.
5. Drizzle the plate with extra virgin olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar.
6. Finish with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!